Monday, December 22, 2014

Sketching Selfies

 
 "Self Portrait Sketch no. 1"
10 x 8 inches, oil on canvas

I just finished up a Christmas portrait commission, which, because it hasn't been gifted yet, is unsharable. What to do with all that leftover paint? You got it: Selfies! This kind takes a little bit longer than this kind, but it's a lot more fun.

Here's my sketch-to-finish. The pencil drawing was a quick ten-minute warmup in my studio journal.


Did someone say "Studio Journal?!" Sounds suspiciously like new year's resolution material.....

'Tis the season, after all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - thanks for showing all the stages. This is really nice and you stayed so true to your beginning values. What all are you thinking of putting in your Studio Journal? I have a spiral that I often make notes about a particular piece I'm working on - lessons learned, notation on colors used in a particular part, etc., is that the kind of thing you'll be noting or maybe a day by day kind of thing?

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Hi Joani - Thanks for your comment! Yes, those are all things I hope to put in my studio journal. Usually it just ends up being sketches for whatever I'm working on that day, but color notes would be super helpful. I'll remember that! -Sarah

Shelley Whitin said...

I love the step by step instructions. I also love the deep intense look of the sitter. A captivating and fascinating picture.