Monday, January 11, 2016

Introduction to Oil Painting

 
 "Demo at OAS, January 2016"
9 x 12 inches, oil on Arches oil paper
Sold

I just wrapped up the first-ever session of my new workshop, Intro to Oil Painting. It's funny that I've been teaching for three years now, and this was my first beginner-level class. The most challenging part was keeping it simple - especially when it comes to talking color!

Luckily, the first day was all black-and-white. First, we mixed up a value scale, then we painted with it: all-white geometric objects, then red and green apples.


The second day, we mixed up a full-spectrum palette from the primaries. I like seeing my demo painting in sequence with the palette and color wheel: 


I've got plenty of workshops coming up - you can check them all out in the right-hand sidebar. Don't hesitate to sign up if you're interested - all levels of experience are welcome in all of my workshops!

1 comment:

Giovanni Carlo said...

Very nice artwork, my favorite paintings is koi fish, goldfish, bettas and other fishes